V-necked boxy top that takes on a feminine shape from the drape of the silk.
- Wide-cut body with relaxed silhouette
- Dropped shoulders with box sleeves
- Short side slits
- Crafted in 80g habutai silk dyed in the itajime shibori technique. Each 3m piece of fabric is folded, clamped and dyed by hand, so there are slight variations in colour and pattern between pieces.
Size & Fit Details:
- Length 24"
- Chest 56"
- Sleeve length 11" & sleeve opening 18"
- Length 25"
- Chest 60"
- Sleeve length 12" & sleeve opening 18"
+/- a tolerance inherent to hand made clothing
Our Itajime Silk Collection has been hand-crafted in the workshop of two of India's foremost Master Craftsmen; Jabbar and Abdullah Khatri in Bhuj, Gujarat.
Shibori is a 1300 year old tie and dye technique developed in Japan involving the folding and clamping or otherwise securing of fabric prior to dyeing. Itajime is one technique of shibori which uses pieces of wood clamped together around sections of folded fabric to resist the dye in particular shapes.
Each three meter section of fabric is individually folded, clamped, tied and dyed; and this repeated several times to get layers of colours. It's a time consuming and exacting technique with bold geometric results.
Any variations or irregularities are to be celebrated. They are part of the design & inherent to the handcrafted production process, making this item beautifully unique.